Countdown to the New York Marathon

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Realisations ...

You can call me slow (and not just for my "running" speed) but a few things began to dawn on me this week!

I got my "Team World Vision" training shirt at the end of last week. I love wearing that shirt when I train - it reminds me why I'm out running at 6:00 in the morning! It reminds me that this isn't about me, it isn't about losing weight, it isn't about a mid-life crisis or proving I can run a marathon. It is about making a difference in the lives of the world's poor, about giving people a  hand up not a hand out!  About a purpose greater than myself that calls me into action NOW.  Thinking of that purpose is what led to this post ...


I was thinking this week about the devastation of the QLD Floods and the call for donations to help rebuild the towns and cities and support those who have been affected so tragically.  I have been feeling guilty about asking for donations for SEE Solutions, thinking the need appears not to be so immediate.  When I realised this was what was going on in the back of my mind, I realised just how ABSURD it is to be thinking that way! 
The effect of the floods in QLD has been horrific, the damage extensive, many have lost everything and some have lost people they love! Supporting the people and rebuilding of QLD is important. It is also important that we don't lose sight of the fact that QLD is rebuilding after a major disaster and not just surviving each day.

The people and communities SEE Solutions supports live in poverty everyday. They are trying to earn enough to simply survive. They lack the quality of education, health, transport and other public infrastructure (if they have it at all) that we enjoy here in Australia.  Every day is a struggle for survival, their need is as immediate as those who have suffered in the floods in QLD.  Your generosity makes a significant difference to their survival and provides a means for self sufficiency - a solution rather than a band aid!

Give to the appeals for QLD, they need it and I'm doing the same.  Also give to the people and their need addressed by SEE Solutions - it is not one or the other!

There are still 5 spots left for Team World Vision, and registrations close on Tuesday 8th February. To register your interest, visit: www.everydayhero.com.au/event/worldvisionnym2011

No comments:

Post a Comment